Thursday, January 28, 2010

The best shelf builder in the universe!

These have been three months in the making, and at last, they are done!

Since moving to Hobart, our bedroom has been full of piles of assorted stuff. Finally we have a place to organise it all.

The shelves are made from all-recycled timber - the uprights and joists bought from the local tip shop, the shelving I scavenged on hard waste day. The thing about cheap recycled wood is that it's rarely straight, which makes it hard to get things neat. But it's good enough, and pretty solid. It's not very easy to dismantle, though, so hopefully we don't need to move anywhere in a hurry ...

In all I reckon I spent $30 ($15 for timber, $15 for screws), and it took me 15 hours. By comparison I could have bought equivalent shelving from IKEA for say $150. But the over-blown sense satisfaction just wouldn't be there!

Next big project is perhaps a bed - I want a high-rise double bed with lots of space under it for a desk and hanging space.

4 comments:

  1. That looks very sturdy indeed. You're a good egg. Makes me feel guilty for our house full of nothing but Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't think Ikea is suck an evil corporation though. When it comes to wood, I think they are trying to make all the wood they source FSC-certified. Which is good!

    We each do what we can and find rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Book reviews 2023

Here we go again! My annual book review summary. What did 2023 hold? (NERD ALERT, a fair bit of data analysis ahead! Feel free to skip to th...